The season for White Star Apple or African cherry otherwise known Agbalumo(Yoruba) or Udara (Igbo) is here. This reminds me of my childhood days in the village during xmas. We will stay under the Udara tree with my cousins, waiting for it to fall. I just discovered that is sweet and sour fruit has loads of benefits.
- It is also an excellent source of vitamins, irons and has high ascorbic acid than orange.
- A study by researchers at Covenant University Ogun State, Nigeria showed that it lowers blood sugar and cholesterol, and could be useful in preventing and treating heart diseases.
- The cotyledons from the seeds are used as ointments in the treatment of womanly and dermatological infections in Western Nigeria.
- Findings revealed that the bark of the species was locally used for healing coughing, icterus and yellow fever while the leaves were used to treat malaria, high blood pressure and anemia.
Nutritional Data (100g of pulp/flesh only)
- Calorie – 61 kcal
- Carbohydrate of which sugars) – 11g
- Protein – 2g
- Fat – 0g
- Fibre – 3g
- Vitamins: – A, C
- Minerals: – Iron, Calcium